Your placenta is an amazing organ that has carried oxygen and nutrients to your baby during your pregnancy. It can also continue to give benefit back to you in the immediate post partum period in the form of capsules and smoothies or for a life time for yourself and your baby in a tincture.
Placenta encapsulation allows you to ingest your placenta in a more palatable way. Small vegetarian capsules are filled with your placenta which has been gently steamed, dehydrated and then ground into a powder. Most placentas yield between 130 – 180 caps.
Benefits of ingesting your placenta may include:
- Increased milk production
- Increase in energy levels
- Prevent/decrease baby blues or post natal depression
- Reduce Post partum bleeding
- Assist the uterus to a pre pregnancy state
- Replenish iron levels
- Replenishing essential nutrients such as iron, vitamin B6, amino acids and essential fats
Placenta tinctures can also be prepared from your placenta and used as a life long remedy for you and your baby.
Options for placenta use
- Placenta Capsules – Used for the immediate postpartum period
- Placenta Tincture – Used for both mother and baby as a life long remedy
- Placenta Smoothie – Raw placenta in a smoothie with other ingredients of your choice
How much does placenta encapsulation cost?
Birth InSight offers the following placenta encapsulation packages:
- Placenta Encapsulation and Tincture $280
- Placenta Encapsulation $250
- Placenta Tincture $100
- Placenta Package for doula clients – $200
Placentas will be collected from all over Sydney and the Blue Mountains (other areas by arrangement)
Free pick up of your placenta. Delivery to anywhere in the Sydney Metro area is an additional $20.
Depending on where you live there may be an additional pick up/delivery fee
How to prepare for collection of your placenta
After booking your placenta for encapsulation with BirthInSight, you will receive detailed instructions on how to store your placenta prior to collection, including notifying me when you are in early labour.
The placenta needs to be stored in the fridge within 4 hours of birth. It will then be collected for processing within 24 hours of birth.
Birth InSight is registered with Placenta Services Australia and has completed training in Bloodborne Pathogens for Placenta Encapsulation Professionals and SITXFSA101 Use Hygiene Practices for Food Safety. All Placentas are prepared under the guidelines listed here.